NFPA Rolls Out New Website - 6/1/12
The new NFPA website is a complete redesign. Here are some highlights:
- Reorganized menus make it easier to find topics
- Image links for the most popular topics appear in a column on the left of every page
- Many content sections have been restructured and condensed
- Explanations for jargon and confusing terms have been added
- Old information has been either updated or eliminated
- Duplicate and conflicting information reconciled
We designed for both the technology of today and tomorrow:
- The new site will expand to utilize all the screen real-estate you have available so you don’t need to scroll as much
- For smaller displays such as smartphones and some netbooks, the site will prioritize the main content area – making the site usable even on the go
- Announcements and upcoming events columns on the home page will also show members-only information so there is no need to navigate to a special members-only page to see them (the menu bar will have additional links based on the visitor’s permissions)
- The members-only content on the old site was hidden behind a single password that was shared by the entire membership – hardly secure - now, each member signs in using the email address they have given to their association
- The leaders-only content was behind a password shared by nearly 200 people - the site uses the Leadership Directory database to determine whether that individual gets leadership access in addition to their member access
- For leaders, the leaders2 listserv is being replaced with a web-based message system - in addition to receiving announcements in email, you will also be able to look back on past messages using a special page of the website
Behind the scenes, there are many ways the new website design will help NFPA HQ be better able to serve you and many more additions will be worked on over the summer.
Moreover, the new site’s technological underpinnings have a greater capacity for expansion. We will be able to add new features and enhance existing ones using HQ resources, not expensive web design firms. We feel that what we are unveiling is great in its own right, but more than that, we see it as a foundation to build upon for even more member value in the future.
Members: If you’re having difficulty signing in please call HQ at 425-967-0045 to verify we have the correct email address for you. Individuals should also set their preferences regarding the broadcast NFPA e-mails, whether or not to receive a paper or online copy of the National Paralegal Reporter, and/or how their entry in the Leadership Directory, if they have one, should appear. Associations should also continually update the Leadership Directory as to Board members so that the Leadership Directory is - at all times - up-to-date.
Scholarship and Award Nominations - all nominations for NFPA awards including Individual and Association Pro Bono, Paralegal of the Year, Outstanding Local Leader and Robie, as well as applications for the two Thomson-Reuter's Scholarships must be postmarked on or before July 1, 2012. Click HERE to access the Awards Nomination Brochure. The Awards Procedures are in Section 25 of the NFPA Procedures Manual, or contact the Vice President and Director of Profession Development at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Convention Registration - Registration will be open to all members, delegates and Association as of July 1, 2012. Please review the Convention website page for more information, or contact HQ for more information.
I also just wanted to introduce myself as the new Secretary and Director of Operations. I look forward to serving you all to the best of my ability. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.
Valerie A. Dolan, RP®, Pa.C.P.
NFPA Secretary and Director of Operations
NFPA - The Leader of the Paralegal Profession®
PACE - The Standard For Excellence™